Thursday, July 5, 2012

7/5/12

<p>At the Warm Showers host we had a discussion about me sleeping outside or inside since there was no AC in the house and it would be cooler outside. The sky was clear and as the evening progressed, both in and the out cooled. There was a 30% chance of showers, so I decided to sleep on the couch.
Mean while, the 4th activities were ramping up and about 9:30 the fireworks began both in the neighborhood an on the waterfront.&#160;&#160; They went on for a couple hours and getting to sleep was a challenge but success was at hand. Then the real fireworks began, Mother Natures.  She must have thought those human cracklings were wimpy so she showed us. It was close to a repeat of the deluge we had one night in Texas. Lots of lightening, thunder and rain.
I had put my stuff under the eves of the house on the deck with the rain covers on so most things were safe. My shoes, helmet and a bag of laundry were the only casualties.
I am on the ferry about to set off on the 60 mile, 4 hour trip to Wisconsin. 
We will be in the Midwest time zone and only 2 hours ahead of California.
I will finish this later.
The ferry ride was basically boring unless you like looking at great expanses of water, playing bingo with an MC with bad jokes or watching a movie with dialog that is unintelligible.  Apparently the ferry is a ship originally built in 1952 to carry railroad cars across Lake Michigan.  It is a coal burning steamship and the last of its kind.
I found the cheapest lodging I could find at another Super 8 Motel.  I is $30 more than the same make and model I stayed in in Big Rapids.  This emphasizes the importance of avoiding coastal tourist areas.
The ultimate destination or tomorrow is yet to be determined.

No comments:

Post a Comment