Thursday, July 11, 2013

7/11/2013

First a synopsis of the journey:  I had a mini breakfast of an orange and 2 small garlic bread sticks I  had.  The reason was that there was not going to be a chance to get breakfast for 24 miles.  So off I go psyching myself up for the 700 foot Hill that was at the start of the section.  I was on the hill and coping with the challenge, after all I had done higher hills and they were not that traumatic.  The climb seemed to go on forever.  When I got to top the elevation sign said 1485 ft.  I looked at my map and discovered that I missed the turn that was to take me on a scenic route off of hwy 101.  So I decided to pay closer attention to the directions.  I did fine a nice little cafe in Orick, CA and had reasonably price smaller than usual breakfast.
    The next turn was onto the Trinidad Scenic Beach road.  What a mistake that was.  It was the worst road I have been on a bike.  Ruts, giant pot holes, patches on patches and even a dirt road in places. The scenery was beautiful for what I saw of it while dodging messy road.
   The next turn was onto a bike trail and after some dirt areas it turned out to be a very good route.
    Anyway I made it to Arcata by about 1:00 PM and bought some items at a grocery store and aye lunch in their deli eating area.

I had arranged last night to stay tonight at a Warm Showers host family in Arcaya.  I am setting on their patio now composing this entry.
They are Robert and Siv and work together at a medical office.  Picture below.

No comments:

Post a Comment