Tuesday, July 2, 2013

7/2/2013

Today was a longer ride, almost 68 miles . I got started about 7:15 again after a, well I don't know, delicious breakfast at McDonalds. Actually their burritos breakfast plate is pretty good and inexpensive; comes with coffee in hash browns.
   Shortly after I started this morning I turned onto a side road as per Adventure Cycling directions and started up one of the rudest Hills I've had on the trip so far.  It was about a half a mile long and took forever and I was down to 3 miles an hour.  The rest of the route was gentle hills or flat.  There was a persistent head wind later in the morning since I was heading mostly SW and wind was mostly from the west.
    I ended up in Montesano, WA which is off the official Adventure Cycling route.  I decided to detour west and see some of the Washington coast and and go across a real cool bridge into Astoria, OR.  If all goes well tomorrow, I should be in Astoria at the end of the days ride.  This little detour should also cut off about 45 miles.
     Below is photo of the hotel at which I am staying.  Notice that the bottom floor is all small businesses.  The check-in is done in the convenience store of the Chevron station that is behind me.  The motel, Montesano Square Motel, is the only game in town.  There is no other motel and no close by campgrounds.
    The other picture is the Beehive Diner where I had dinner tonight and where I plan to have breakfast in the morning.  It seems to be the only place that is open early enough for my schedule.
   

No comments:

Post a Comment